The Johnson & Johnson Legal Department is recruiting for a Senior Counsel, Product Liability to be located at World Headquarters in New Brunswick, NJ.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $82.1 billion in 2020 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 250 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing over 125,000 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Senior Counsel will report into the Assistant General Counsel, Product Liability Group Lead, and:
· Actively manage a portfolio of Product Liability matters and other related litigation as assigned
· Prepare case assessments and direct litigation strategy
· Identify, select, and retain appropriate outside counsel in the management of cases; prepare and track litigation budgets; review and approve legal invoices.
· Work with company management and other personnel in support of litigation including preparation for testimony in legal proceedings
· Give advice on legal hold obligations and related discovery issues
· Attend legal proceedings, mediations, and/or arbitrations and appear on behalf of the Company
· Review and advise clients on sensitive labeling, marketing, and liability issues and provide related training, as appropriate
· Participate in external activities relating to product liability and litigation such as IADC, DRI, ATRA, and PLAC
· Provide analysis and advice to the business on key litigation and policy issues impacting our brands; anticipate and mitigate litigation risks facing the company; develop and recommend policy and position on legal issues and collaborate with cross-functional partners
· Develop appropriate legal policies, procedures, and guidelines for the management of product liability litigation
• A Juris Doctor Degree and admission to and in good standing with at least one state bar is required
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in defense of product liability litigation is required.
• Experience handling aspects of pre-trial case preparation and management including discovery, witness preparation, writing and review of major briefs, selection and preparation of experts is required.
• Experience in large-scale mass tort type matters, particularly MDLs and state-coordinated proceedings, is preferred.
• Must be articulate and a collaborative manager and colleague.
• Demonstrated ability to influence cross-functional partners and senior executives to impact decision-making.
• Willingness to “have an opinion” backed up by insight and the confidence to influence key stakeholders in meetings and on a one-to-one basis.
• Outstanding communication skills.
• Ability to think analytically to understand complex or ambiguous problems or issues and articulate solutions/conclusions clearly and concisely.
• Highly strategic business knowledge with the ability to appropriately use judgment and risk-taking.
• Strong leadership skills and proven track record of collaboration with colleagues; excellent judgment to manage product liability exposure and outside counsel costs effectively
• Approximately 25% of travel, globally and domestically.
• Pharmaceutical and medical device product liability experience is preferred.
• In-house experience with a pharmaceutical or medical device company is an asset.
• Trial experience is an asset.
In accordance with applicable disclosure requirements, the anticipated base pay range for this position is $160,000 -$276,000. The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable plan. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis.
Employees may be eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs such as health insurance, savings plan, pension plan, disability plan, long-term incentive, vacation pay, sick time, holiday pay, and work, personal and family time off in accordance with the terms of the applicable plans. For additional general information on Company benefits, please go to: https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional, and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .