Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies is recruiting for a Director, Biophysics located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Biophysics Group within Biologics Discovery uses innovative biophysical, biochemical, and mass spectrometry based analytical tools, from initial hit screening through clinical candidate selection, to help select the most promising therapeutic candidates for clinical development. The Director and Group Leader, Biophysics, will serve as the department’s subject matter expert on characterizing developability attributes like thermal stability, chemical stability, solubility, and aggregation, and will lead an expert team of scientists to characterize these attributes on a broad range of biologics platforms like for monoclonal antibodies, multi-specific antibodies, antibody drug conjugates, antibody radio conjugates, and other therapeutic proteins. The Director will be empowered to continuously improve the Janssen biophysical characterization and developability workflow by incorporating new lab automation, data science, modeling capabilities, and other innovative tools.
- Drive the operational, strategic, and scientific strategy for applying innovative biophysical characterization techniques towards the selection of biologics at Janssen.
- Establish a robust operational process for using these techniques on a broad portfolio of therapeutic programs and platforms.
- Recruit, train, mentor, manage, and evaluate a team of ~6-8 scientists focused on characterization of higher order structure of biologics.
- Collaborate with peers in Biophysics, Lead Engineering, and Protein Expression Sciences groups to provide a comprehensive analysis of the molecular properties.
- Work with downstream drug development teams in Cell Line Development, Drug Product Development and Analytical Development to ensure efficient transfer of project and molecular information and selection of developable candidates.
- Advise/mentor project teams and project leaders on the successful selection of clinical candidates with appropriate physical characteristics.
- Build an environment that encourages technical and scientific innovation and continuous improvement.
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related field with a minimum of 10 years relevant experience is required.
Experience and Skills:
- Experience using numerous biophysical analytical techniques like chromatography, DSC, DSF, AUC, cIEF, DLS, SLS, or forced degradation studies to characterize biologics is required.
- Strong understanding of protein/antibody structure function relationships is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills is required.
- Ability to clearly articulate scientific concepts and results across research functions is required.
- Highly recognized for scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and presentations at major national meetings is required.
- Experience directly leading and developing a scientific staff is required.
- Knowledge of techniques to build and analyze large data sets for predictive modeling and in silico tools for molecule selection is preferred.
- Experience leading therapeutic discovery programs is preferred.
- Experience building or working with modern lab automation and high-throughput analysis is preferred.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .