Janssen Research & Development, LLC., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientist, located in Malvern, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Co-op in the Large Molecule Drug Product Development will be a lab-based role, responsible for experimental studies in pre-formulation, formulation, characterization, and analytical development of biologics with a focus on RNA therapeutics and lipid nanoparticles (LNPs). This includes development and optimization of the technical operations associated with liquid and lyophilized biologics development, diluent compatibility/administration, and stability campaigns. In addition, biophysical/analytical method development and data interpretation to analyze different biologics modalities is required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities to Include:
- Design and execute formulation development experiments for large molecule drug products such as gene therapy and RNA therapeutics as well as lipid nanoparticle vehicles.
- Rational formulation design/selection and characterization studies relevant to the stage of development. Studies include, but are not limited to, biophysical characterization, in vitro/in vivo potency, stability, composition selection and robustness and development of administration protocols.
- Design and execute process development studies to determine and characterize process parameters associated with preparation of drug products for RNA therapeutics and lipid nanoparticles. Studies include, but are not limited to, freeze-thaw, mixing, filtration, pumping, filling, biophysical characterization, stability, composition robustness and lyophilization.
- Development of analytical and characterization methods to support drug product development.
- Screening of formulations using in vitro and in vivo models.
- Development and optimization of liquid and lyophilized biologics formulations, as well as execution of characterization plans and stability studies.
- Author technical reports and present data to peers and functional management
- Collaborate with functional line management as well as scientists in related functional areas such as Research and Development, QC/QA, Clinical, Manufacturing, Toxicology, and Regulatory (CMC)
- Perform duties consistent with good laboratory practices
- Progress toward a B.S. (Junior level or higher), M.S., or Ph.D. degree in chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, bioengineering, pharmaceutical sciences, chemistry, biophysics, biochemistry or a related field.
- A strong background in nanoparticles for vaccines and drug delivery applications is required. Knowledge of lipid nanoparticles is a plus.
- A strong background in nanoparticle characterization is required (e.g. DLS, Zeta Potential, etc.).
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and protein- and cell-based assays including immunological assays is a plus.
- A strong record of work in research or industrial labs is required.
- Ability to interpret and analyze data from biophysical assays and design appropriate experiments.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Graduate students (M.S. and Ph.D. candidates) are encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with biochemical, biophysical and/or analytical methodologies such as separations (e.g. SEC, etc.), fluorescence and UV spectroscopy, physical characterization) is preferred.
- Knowledge of pulmonary drug delivery, aerosol characterization, and inhalable formulations is preferred.
- Experience with animal models is preferred.
- Excellent track record of peer-reviewed publications is preferred.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.