Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is recruiting for a Senior Product Development Engineer located in Danvers, MA.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities :
- Lead early-stage design & process development projects of novel hemodynamic support devices and accessories.
- Lead initiatives with engineers in research, product development, new product introduction and contract manufacturers or OEMs. Collaborate to deliver designs with margin to performance requirements and demonstrated process capability in scalable manufacturing processes.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) across platforms and lifecycle phases from research through sustaining teams
- Conduct voice of the customer and transform clinical observations into new device concepts and requirements
- Generate intellectual property through invention disclosures in pursuit of patients and trade secrets.
- Turn concepts into reality by rapidly prototyping using a variety of fabrication techniques.
- Test and iterate on your designs to develop an optimal solution.
- Bring solutions to market by collaborating with an exceptional cross-functional team.
- Conceptualize, design, prototype, procure, and build components and assemblies for products and testing/manufacturing fixtures.
- Lead the planning and execution of animal and cadaver labs throughout the development cycle.
- Conduct feasibility testing, analyze, and report on test results providing conclusions and recommendations.
- Perform failure investigations in the event of test failures with support from the technical team.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or directly related scientific discipline.
- 6-8+ years of related experience in medical device, 3+ years in manufacturing or new product introduction.
- Strong problem-solving skills and demonstrated experience identifying root cause of device failures.
- Demonstrated ability to execute tasks in a timely manner under minimal supervision.
- Willingness to learn the interventional cardiology space - the devices and the clinical practice.
- Experience applying statistical techniques and analysis.
- Willingness & ability to travel internationally ~5% of the time.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications :
- Experience in FDA Class II and III medical devices.
- Experience in Solidworks 3D modeling, 2D drawing applying GD&T, PDM. Able to model complex parts and assemblies and conduct basic structural and fluid FEA.
- Proficiency in scientific molding and other plastic processes including insert molding and complex engineered shafts
- Proficiency in laser-cutting, machining, coatings and finishing of metals and ceramics.
- Experience in equipment and tooling design, fabrication, process development, and validation.
- Hands on experience in prototyping in pilot manufacturing and rapid prototyping; basic machine shop equipment
- Hands on experience in testing in a laboratory environment
- Strong understanding of design control and risk management processes and deliverables
- Experience in design for manufacturing of plastic and metal components
- Strong understanding of statistical analysis of data, DOE’s, DMAIC, DFSS, Six Sigma Green Belt+
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .