Robotics and Digital Solutions, part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is recruiting for a Staff Robotics and Controls Engineer. This position is located in Santa Clara, CA.
At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we're changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times for patients. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in 2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™) and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams based in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You'll collaborate on breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
The Staff Robotics and Controls Engineer plays a key role in the development of the Ottava robotic surgical platform. The candidate will understand the system from both a technical perspective and the user’s viewpoint, and contribute algorithms and software implementations that ultimately drive definition and development of Robotics and Digital Solutions. We will set a new industry benchmark for robotic surgical capability. We are looking for a candidate who can work independently and function well within a team. The candidate is flexible, self-motivated, curious and passionate about revolutionizing the world of medical robotics. Additionally, the Staff Robotics and Controls Engineer, works closely with other team members to control, simulate, and implement robotic systems.
- Work with software and other specialists (mechanical, electrical, clinical) as part of a focused multi-functional team developing robotics and controls software and algorithms for medical applications.
- Work closely with other robotics and controls engineers to design, implement and test robotic algorithms (kinematics, dynamics, controls, etc.) using C++ in a real-time and FDA-regulated environment.
- Develop novel methods for human-robot interaction, working closely with clinical engineers and physicians
- Lead robotic software function in a cross-functional environment on a robotic subsystem, including modeling and hardware bring up.
- Create specifications and requirements based on clinical and user inputs.
- Participate in or lead software design discussions and code reviews (both internal and multi-functional) for robotic algorithms and workflows.
- Quickly implement concept proofs and prototypes, and test on systems
- One of the following combinations of education and experience is required;
A.) 6+ years of relevant industry experience developing sophisticated robotics applications for complex electro-mechanical systems in combination with a Master's (Robotics, Mechatronics, Control, or equivalent areas) OR
B.) 3+ years with PhD (Robotics, Mechatronics, Control, or equivalent areas) in developing sophisticated robotics applications for complex electro-mechanical systems
- Demonstrated experience with robot control algorithm development, implementation, and debugging is required.
- Knowledge in robotic system design, integration, debugging, verification, and testing is required.
- In-depth understanding of robotics fundamentals is essential. (e.g. kinematics, dynamics, control theory, modelling, calibration, system characterization & identification) is required.
- Excellent C++ development skills, including software design/architecture and hardware integration is required.
- Collaborative teammate with excellent written and in-person communication skills is essential.
- Proficiency with multi-threaded applications is beneficial
- Experience with Unit Testing and software Verification and Validation processes is preferred.
- Experience with real-time software applications and RTOS is desirable
- Experience developing safety-critical software is beneficial
- Experience working in an Agile environment is preferred
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment is preferred.
- Previous experience working in compliance to ISO 13485 and 21 CFR 820 is beneficial.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.