Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
The Sr. Electrical Engineer in the Post Market Engineering group plays an integral role in Abiomed’s Quality Department, conducting post-market investigations of FDA-approved medical devices. In this position, you will conduct complaint failure investigations and lead CAPAs. This is a position designed to build upon engineering skillset that includes root cause analysis, fixture design, project management, medical device knowledge, and cardiology clinical background.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Function as the lead complaint investigator. Investigate complaints by reviewing clinical notes,
analyzing medical device data, and by troubleshooting returned products to determine a root
• Serve as a subject matter expert for durable products and their associated failure modes
• Identify optimal analytical approaches critical to problems by mitigating/ resolving failures to
improve product quality and reliability
• Develop root cause failure analysis techniques to automate processes and testing methods
• Apply statistical tools to analyze data and drive problem resolution
• Drive corrective and preventive actions in a timely manner to prevent the re-occurrence of
• Lead engineering projects through design changes (HW/SW), which includes modifying
schematics, PCB layouts, and other engineering models
• Run small projects by developing a project plan and adhering to design controls
• BS in Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or directly related scientific discipline
required. MS desired
• Minimum of 4 years of related work experience
• Experience interpreting circuit schematics, BOMs, and technical drawings
• Knowledge of electrical design software tools (Schematic capture and PCB layout)
• Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly, effectively, and frequently (oral and written)
• Determination to overcome obstacles and the initiative to execute tasks in a timely manner
without direct supervision
• A passion for medical devices and making a significant positive impact on the lives of our
• May require up to 10% travel – US & EU
• Project lead experience is a plus
• Medical device and electromechanical design experience preferred
• Ability to troubleshoot electronics down to component-level
• Experience with programming languages such as C/C++, Python, Matlab, and SQL
• Knowledge of electronics manufacturing and ability to interface with suppliers
• Experience with fiberoptics and digital communication protocols
• Cross-functional experience with hardware/ software and analog/ digital systems
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.