Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer, Advanced Imaging R&D , the preferred location is Santa Clara, CA, and an alternate location of Cincinnati, OH will be considered.
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global leader in surgery with products and solutions found in almost every operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is a critical team member of our Advanced Imaging and Visualization group who uses mechanical engineering design and analysis skills to design and develop complex mechanisms and assemblies for the next generation of advanced visualization instrumentation and accessories.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Support design and development activities for new and current designs.
- Conceptualize and rapidly develop and iterate solutions that resolve design issues; continuously improve upon these solutions to design freeze applying solid engineering principles, DFMA and good documentation practices.
- Create CAD models and drawings; collaborate with internal/external partners to fabricate/build prototypes.
- Conduct root cause investigation to troubleshoot complex mechanical design and material issues that arise through testing and engineering development.
- Work closely with contract manufacturers for design transfer to manufacturing and support design and development activities.
- Support design control activities including requirements definition, risk management, engineering studies/protocols and reports.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams including quality, product development, regulatory, electrical, software, robotic controls, systems, test, verification, and external teams.
- Work independently and in a team, while being flexible, self-motivated, and curious.
- Be a positive, collaborative team member with a good, honest work ethic.
Required Education, Skills & Experience:
- BSME or similar degree in relevant field.
- 5+ years' relevant working experience.
- Mechanical design and analysis skills, including force, strength of materials and stress analysis. Ability to perform basic FEA.
- Proficiency using CAD and PDM, SolidWorks.
- Experience making drawings following standard methodologies from AMSE Y14.5-2009 Dimensioning and Tolerancing. Ability to perform 2D and 3D tolerance stack-up analyses.
- Experience working with vendors to select, source, quote, and procure off-the-shelf and custom designed components.
- Ability to travel up to 25% (domestic/international).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience:
- Experience designing and developing medical instrumentation and/or laparoscopes.
- Experience in small mechanism design and knowledge of various types of motor driven actuators, motion transmission, encoders, and sensors.
- Demonstrated experience in design for manufacture, injection molding and assembly; solid understanding of common manufacturing processes including 3D printing, machining, wire EDM, MIM, stamping, forming, casting, electropolishing, passivation, brazing, heat treatment, injection molding, etc.
- Strong statistics and data analytic experience including use of applications such as MATLAB, Minitab, and Tableau.
- Experience using programming/scripting languages such as LabVIEW, Python and Linux commands.
- Familiarity with vision/optical systems: cameras, optics, integrating spheres, thermal testing and analysis, and fiber optic illumination.
- Experience working in all phases of product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification & validation, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing.
- Comfortable operating machine shop, measurement, and test equipment.
- Experience working in an ISO and FDA regulated environment.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Able to lead cross-disciplinary projects with broad engineering teams.
- Light lifting may be required at times.
The anticipated base salary pay range for this position in the Bay Area, CA is: $119,000 to $191,820.
The anticipated base salary pay range for this position in Cincinnati, OH is: $104,000 to $166,750.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.