Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing creative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. We touch the lives of over a billion people every single day.
Are you ready to impact the world?
Offering an opportunity for a personal contribution and be valued for who you are, Johnson & Johnson offers an opportunity to professionals to work within a team focused on achieving patient need within a team culture of end-to-end delivery.
Ethicon is recruiting for a Principal FPGA Engineer - Visualization, in Santa Clara, California.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from building the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing
World's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our dedication to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Principal FPGA Engineer is a key team member in the Visualization Platform team, leading and conducting a wide range of assignments in collaboration with the team. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by building ground-breaking surgical capabilities in the visualization space and working in a multi-functional environment.
Key Responsibilities :
- Lead, plan, develop, and validate FPGA architecture, image signal processing implementations, or communication interfaces for laparoscopic visualization, illumination devices, or advanced imaging products.
- Lead system technical strategies and influence internal cross-functional teams to execute feasibility and product development efforts.
- Develop technical requirements and architecture, collaborating with internal and external team members, that will support not just a product but a platform for long-term growth.
- Manage project and technical deliverables to meet the goals of assigned projects.
- Collaborate with external technology companies to integrate advanced imaging technologies into proprietary visualization platforms.
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- Conduct and/or participate in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Contribute to all aspects of design control activities throughout the product lifecycle
- Mentor junior team members in technical expertise, sound engineering practices, and our team culture of curiosity and innovation.
A BS in an Electrical Engineering or related discipline is required. A MS degree is highly preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 8 years of product design/development experience, including demonstrated successes developing real-time video processing or high-speed, low latency solutions that include embedded software and FPGA components.
- Significant experience in design, implementation, and troubleshooting FPGA designs that include high-speed signal and video interfaces (e.g. Ethernet, MIPI, PCIe, DDR, HDMI, SDI, Display Port, etc.).
- Significant experience de-composing requirements into hardware architecture, detailed designs, communication interfaces, and deliverables, etc.
- Direct experience working across company and organizational boundaries to build relationships, define mutual goals, and collaborate to meet objectives.
- Direct experience building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running data-driven, feasibility studies.
- Detailed understanding of industry standard full-lifecycle product development is required, with a strong preference for direct experience in development for medical devices.
- Experience developing surgical visualization camera control systems, including interfacing with image sensors and LED/laser light sources, FPGA programming, image signal processing for machine learning/artificial intelligence.
- Understanding of surgical visualization, image sensors, frame and line-based image processing, and electronic interfacing of image data streams.
- Experience in product development for real-time, low latency video processing algorithms.
- Previous experience developing medical device equipment; minimally invasive surgical visualization instruments; in particular, image processing systems, imaging devices and light sources is highly beneficial
- Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate within and across cross-functional teams within organization is essential.
- Experience with medical device or other regulated, high reliability industry development.
- Experience supporting verification and validation of medical devices or other high reliability products.
Domestic and international travel of up to 10%
- Integrity and behavior based on the Credo Ethical actions at all levels in the activities.
- Orientation to the Result: Pursues everything with direction and energy, focused on the result, without fear to initiate the action without knowing all the facts, is committed to a start to finish mindset.
- Relation: Warm, friendly and with interpersonal skills, accessible and easy to communicate. It relates well with all people, builds positive relationships.
- Flexibility and Adaptation to Change: Open to learning, is in continuous personal improvement, is aware of itself and the impact it generates on others, is receptive to feedback, is flexible, adapts to characteristics that demand different situations.
- Intellectual Curiosity: Challenge to the status quo and search for creative solutions that can improve the way of doing things. see the possibilities; willing to experiment; pursue new ideas; thrives in ambiguity and uncertainty.
The anticipated pay range for this position is $197,455K - $267,145K
For more than 130 years, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) have been part of our cultural fabric at Johnson & Johnson and is woven into how we do business every day. Our commitment to respect the dignity and diversity of all is embedded in our Credo.
We know that the success of our business depends on having the best talent in a workforce that reflects the diverse markets we serve around the world and an inclusive culture that values different perspectives and life experiences. We provide an environment not only to fulfill your career aspirations, but also to support your physical and mental well-being. At Johnson & Johnson, we offer a variety of outstanding health and financial benefits, including competitive compensation, 401k, pension, medical, dental, and vision insurance, exercise reimbursement, flexible time off, paid volunteer and parental leave, and more!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career, and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com