Johnson & Johnson's Robotics and Digital Solutions is recruiting for a Principal Development Engineer, to be located in Cincinnati, OH .
In this vital role you will function as a core member of the new product development team. You will be responsible for working closely with design, quality, and manufacturing engineers, as well as suppliers throughout all phases of the product development lifecycle. Your role will be critical in influencing the design for manufacturing while developing and qualifying components, defining the assembly process, and transferring the product design to manufacturing. You will collaborate with internal team members and outside manufacturing partners to drive the development & qualification of the comprehensive manufacturing system.
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global leader in surgery with products and solutions found in almost every operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com .
What You’ll Do :
- Lead the design, development, and validation of robust mfg and assembly processes that meet product quality, cost, and performance standards
- Perform component COGS assessments and lead efforts to improve mfg processes and quality, increase capacity, and reduce scrap and costs
- Using suitable statistical methods, develop validation protocols, qualify first articles, complete process capability studies and process validations
- Perform process characterizations, DOE's, risk mitigations, and optimizations
- Collaborate with design team, participate in design reviews, and influence product design via inputs on design for manufacturing, assembly, and cost
- Collaborate with multifunctional partners to ensure DFM/A, appropriate component supplier and assembly site selection, and proper mfg transfer
- Bachelor's of Science in Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, or related science/engineering field
Required Skills & Experience:
- Expertise with pre-production builds, equipment design, and/or assembly process development, optimization, and error-proofing
- 8+ years of manufacturing / process development experience (7 years minimum w/ Master's)
- Expertise with measurement systems analysis (GR&R), COGs assessments, and/or IQ/OQ/PQ activities
- Deep understanding of Design for Manufacturing/Assembly/ Cost, Process FMEA, process flow development, and mitigation control implementation
- Travel up to 50% domestic and/or internationally, including overnight stays
- Ability to work in Cincinnati, OH .
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Master's of Science in Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, or related science/engineering field
- Excellent technical communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a multi-functional environment and partnering with design teams on new product development
- Expertise with statistical analysis techniques (process DOE, process validation/ stability/control/capability) and qualifying component manufacturing processes
- Expert knowledge of component mfg methods (e.g., injection molding, machining, stamping)
- Proven ability to independently lead development teams and manage external suppliers
- Ability to provide constructive feedback, mentoring, and guidance to less experienced development engineers
- Experience in a regulated industry with the associated manufacturing environment and design control requirements
- Highly organized and creative, with strong analytical, problem-solving, project management, and conflict analysis/resolution skills
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.