Abiomed is currently recruiting for an Associate Director, Indirect Materials and Services
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
Indirect materials and Services form a very important part of the overall procurement scope. The Associate Director, for Indirect Materials and Services will be accountable to oversee the spend category in support of Abiomed’s global business. This category spend includes various subcategories including facilities and services, MRO, marketing procurement categories, and corporate / business services, etc. Incumbent in this role will be individual contributor for short term; however, will have direct people leadership responsibility with possible team expansion in future.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead spend and supplier management of indirect materials and services.
- Develop category strategy down to sub-category level and drive execution through stakeholder connects.
- Development of the executional plans and provides the respective continuous improvement process (CIP) and service level improvement plans as input to the overall procurement business plans.
- Proactively build relationships with vendors that ensure stability in Abiomed’s supply network and establish strategic relationships with key suppliers who are aligned with the company's business goals.
- Drive supplier segmentation to deliver differentiated engagement strategy with core suppliers.
- Develop short- and long-term category plans by Incorporating internal business needs analysis with insights from supply market intelligence and external benchmarking.
- Execute and steer various sourcing projects in line with category strategies, and business needs.
- Negotiate supplier contracts to ensure adequate supply of indirect materials and services for Abiomed’s global business.
- Develop contracting strategy for Indirect and Services spend to build stronger contracting coverage.
- Develop and maintain internal stakeholder relationships to create strategic sourcing models that optimize the value of necessary goods and services procurement.
- Work closely with cross functions to support new product pipeline development upstream and product launch and/or integration.
- Identification and realization of opportunities in service improvement, innovative solutions, value creation, and cost management (CAPEX and OPEX inclusive)
- Develop and execute risk management strategies required for indirect materials and services to ensure continuity of supplies and services.
- Develop subcategory design and resulting organization design for managing these categories in longer term.
- Connect with Enterprise / Med Tech procurement teams to bring best solutions and capabilities to support Abiomed’s growth aspirations.
- Bachelor/University Degree in procurement and / or Supply Chain. Engineering or technical background as well as MBA/MS is advantageous.
- Good level of understanding of the machining (metal, plastics, ceramics), injection molding, extrusion industry landscape
- A minimum of 8 years of procurement experience or multiple disciplines of procurement including indirect materials or services is required
- Broad-based understanding of business operations and practices and core procurement areas of focus (e.g. Spend Management, Category Management, Sourcing & Supplier Management, Performance Management)
- Customer Orientation (building and maintaining strong relationships with Abiomed senior Management)
- Strong leadership, vision/strategy setting, communication, influencing, collaboration, talent development skills are key
- Strong project and change management capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skill with ability to confidently present complex information
- Ability to continuously improve the organization
- Experience to work across regions and understand markets
- Strong influencing skills with ability to see issues from multiple viewpoints and understand differing needs of stakeholders (e.g., businesses, Procurement LT, Marketing, R&D, Supply Chain); has "presence"
- Proven track record in leading cross-functional teams and executing significant influencing roles
- Strong Business Acumen, Medical Device and specifically Abiomed relevant industry experience preferred
- Multi-country and Multi sector experience preferred
- Continuous improvement/lean/six sigma experience, black belt preferred
- Experience with SAP preferred, or another ERP, device management and procurement systems
- Willingness to travel, particularly to visit suppliers. This position may require up to 30% International travel based on business needs
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.