At Johnson & Johnson, we use technology and the power of teamwork to discover new ways to prevent and overcome the world’s the most significant healthcare challenges. Our Corporate, Medical Devices, and Pharmaceutical teams leverage data, real-world insights, and creative minds to make life-changing healthcare products and medicines. We're disrupting outdated healthcare ecosystems and infusing them with transformative ideas to help people thrive throughout every stage of their lives. With a reach of more than a billion people every day, there’s no limit to the impact you can make here. Are you ready to reimagine healthcare?
Here, your career breakthroughs will change the future of health, in all the best ways. And you’ll change, too. You’ll be inspired, and you’ll inspire people across the world to change how they care for themselves and those they love. Amplify your impact. Join us!
Ethicon Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson’s family of companies, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies including— sutures, hemostasis products, surgical staplers, trocars, energy devices and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally-invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, oncology, and obesity.
Ethicon, based in Raritan, New Jersey, is recruiting for R&D Co-op for Fall 2024. The R&D Co-op program provides each student with real-life hands-on experience, coaching and mentoring, networking opportunities, as well as the opportunity to meet people from various schools throughout the country. The Co-op role will work with a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers in the discovery and development of solutions to address important unmet surgical needs.
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Interact with surgeons/nurses/healthcare providers to understand unmet clinical needs and translate insights into device requirements.
- Conduct research and development work supporting design, development, and/or manufacturing of hemostats, sealants, adhesion prevention or other surgical products.
- Carry out experiments and perform laboratory procedures to support prototype and/or process development, evaluation, and optimization.
- Analyze experimental data, interpret results, prepare technical reports, present results, and recommendations to cross-functional project teams.
- Work with patent liaison and attorneys to protect intellectual property of new inventions when feasible.
- Follow safety and GxP guidelines including maintaining up-to-date training, following SOPs, maintaining equipment and lab supplies, and proper documentation of laboratory notebooks and logbooks.
- Candidates must be actively enrolled in an accredited University for the duration of the co-op assignment pursuing a Bachelor’s in Bio/Biomedical Engineering, Materials/Biomaterials, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Polymer Science/Engineering or related technical field. Completion of Undergraduate Freshman year at an accredited University is required.
- Master or PhD candidates are highly preferred.
- Candidates with strong polymer or process development background are preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Hands-on laboratory experience in formulation, processing, analysis or characterization is required.
- Research experience in a laboratory setting is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, carry out experiments and interpret results is required.
- Strong digital literacy and knowledge of various programs such as Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Power Point as well as commonly used graphing software and team-based collaboration tools are required.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Candidates must be self-starter, detail-oriented, highly organized.
- Displays passion and enthusiasm for innovation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to collaborate with business partners across functional areas.
- Comfortable working independently, as well as on a team.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and must NOT require sponsorship for employment visa status now, or in the future (ex. H1-B, F-1).
- Availability to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the term of approximately 6 month.
- Minimum GPA of 2.8 is required.
- The anticipated base pay for this position is between $21.00 and $45.00, but will be based on candidate’s program year, discipline, degree and/or experience.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .