Janssen Research and Development, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for an Associate Director, LNP Delivery Group Leader-Oligonucleotide Chemistry, RNA, Gene Therapy & Delivery within Therapeutics Discovery located in Brisbane, CA-San Francisco Bay Campus (SFBC).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
RNA, Gene Therapy & Delivery is an organization within Therapeutics Discovery, committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates in the novel synthetic modalities space working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams. Our mission requires critical thinking, a portfolio approach and deep scientific expertise in several fields including oligonucleotide chemistry, bioconjugation chemistry, nanotechnology, cellular and molecular pharmacology and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. This role offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science driven organization.
- Drive and direct the discovery of novel LNP based delivery technology and platform to support RNA-based therapeutics and vaccine, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions.
- Provide scientific direction, strategy and leadership for novel LNP discovery and formulation, process development, and optimization for in vivo delivery of mRNA, siRNA, gene therapy, and other therapeutic modalities.
- Supervise and lead a group of scientists to craft and complete the experiments to identify best-in-class LNP formulations to drive rapid advancement of RNA-LNP candidate selection.
- Participate and contribute to discussions and projects with strategic external partners.
- Supervise and manage third-party, CRO and CMOs for external collaboration and outsourced work as needed.
- Critically evaluate experiment data and communicate scientific findings as verbal presentations and written reports; and provide updates on project status to Therapeutics Discovery leadership Team.
- PhD in Synthetic Organic, Medicinal Chemistry or a related scientific field is required.
Experience and Skills:
- Postdoctoral experience with an emphasis on nucleic acid chemistry and nanoparticle-based delivery is preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years in the biopharmaceutical industry with proven track record of leading innovative oligonucleotide discovery projects is required. Ten or more years of experience is preferred.
- Prior experience with oligonucleotide delivery and/or LNP technologies, especially in LNP delivery of mRNA as vaccine/therapeutics, is strongly preferred.
- Experience as a project leader, leading teams in a biopharmaceutical or biotech industry is preferred.
- Strong background of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is preferred
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are highly desired.
- Excellent prioritization and organization skills are required.
- Demonstrated the ability to collaborate across teams in a matrix environment.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $166,000 to $267,145.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com.