Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed’s “Patients First!” culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
We are looking for an extraordinary, highly motivated individual to lead our Impella Console Platform team. This exceptional hardware development leader will play a critical role in driving the development of a novel electro-mechanical console, one that will power existing and future Impella heart pumps. A highly technical and highly visible role, this exciting opportunity is a rare chance to impact patient care at scale and to be responsible for development of a critical next-gen platform. Crucial to success in this position is a strong technical foundation in hardware design & development with very strong business acumen, a demonstrated history of leading electronics hardware teams to execute on plan through great program management and execution, and the ability to drive execution across functions. This leader will have the opportunity to create partnerships across the organization, with Research, Engineering, Regulatory, Quality, Medical, Marketing, and Product Management. Understanding how to manage in an environment that embraces true meritocracy, this leader will play a crucial role in the development of Console Product Development team members.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a background in developing medical device platforms within the cardiology space in critical life support applications, with expert-level design control, program management, and product development experience. This person must showcase an inspirational and collaborative leadership style as Abiomed continues its successful mission to recover hearts and save lives.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Generate and execute annual plan to ensure platform objectives and deliverables are met
- Maintain accountability for building / developing / leading high performing team
- Manage day to day activities of HW engineering team while leading the matrixed console platform team (HW & SW)
- Serve as a principal spokesperson for Platform team, presenting regularly to the executive leadership team on key strategic initiatives
- Obtain requirements through customer interaction and drive feedback into design that delights customers
- Maintain financial accountability for budgeting and tracking
- Apply and/or develop highly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts that may be new to the industry
- Provide strong organizational leadership and motivation for the Platform team and foster a success-oriented, accountable, high-morale environment founded on Abiomed Core principles and patients-first culture.
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering (PhD in Electrical Engineering or MBA preferred)
- 10+ years leading an Electrical / Electronics Engineering Product Development team (preferably in a medical device or other highly-regulated organization)
- Track record of launching complex high reliability electromechanical devices for life support applications and patient support
- Experience leading teams of 10 direct reports and up to 10 cross-functional team members
- Financial ownership of Product Development portfolio, including budget experience
- Able to travel 15% of time overseas (post-pandemic travel restrictions)
- Innovation-minded; execution driven
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .