Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Project Head for Ottava within our Robotics & Digital Solutions organization. The position will be located in Santa Clara, CA.
Robotics and Digital Solutions, is part of Johnson & Johnson Med Tech. At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we’re changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve patients’ diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times. Johnson & Johnson Robotics was established in 2020 with the integration of Auris Health, Verb Surgical, C-SATS, and Ethicon. It comprises three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™), and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle. You’ll collaborate on breakthrough medical technologies that unite multiple subject areas to build a connected digital ecosystem that advances medical professionals’ skills and improves patient outcomes.
The Project Head will report into the Strategy & Program Leadership Head and be responsible for driving cross-functional collaboration, ensuring the pod acts as a team, ensuring delivery of all aspects of their subsystem, and raising issues to Platform leadership as necessary. The Project Head will be a technical leader having accountability for each subsystem and be responsible for all aspects of the execution of the Ottava program as guided by the Program Leadership Head.
This role requires strong collaboration skills and partnership with R&D, Global Strategic Marketing, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Engineering, Supply Chain, Quality and Finance. The role also requires strong technical expertise in Class II, III medical device capital equipment development including a strong understanding of global regulatory and clinical requirements.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all executional aspects of the sub-systems of the Ottava Program.
- Accountable for program tracking, acceleration, and risk identification and mitigation for R&D programs within the Ottava platform.
- Raises concerns to the Program Leadership Head to ensure issues are being addressed and elevated to the right level.
- Owns input and operational expertise to aid Program Leadership Head for management reviews, including scenario development, trade-off implications and the evaluation/assessment of improvement opportunities.
- Operates as the cross functional technical leader of the program with strong expertise in all aspects of complex capital equipment development (including Supply Chain, Quality, Regulatory and Clinical).
- Partners with Program Leadership Head for G&O formation across the organization, ensuring alignment across to key platform initiatives, goals, strategies through shared G&O’s and reporting of progress against those across R&D.
- Works with Program Leadership Head & Ottava leadership team to develop leadership team charter, scope and meeting agendas and cadence. Ensures agenda driven membership, meetings and efficient/effective decision making. Ensures similarly consistent governance and standards are cascaded across subsystems.
- Monitors and tracks action items and plans to ensure rapid follow-through and progress against commitments.
- The role is accountable for securing trade-off decisions to help the team manage the triple constraint (time, scope, resources) and for appropriate escalation of challenges cross-functionally.
- Collaborates with Program Leadership members to champion team effectiveness, driving a culture of empowerment, urgency, accountability, achievement, and decision making. The role ensures an environment of cross functional open/safe challenges and risk discussions.
- Provide career development, performance management, and coaching employees to assist in talent development.
- Foster teamwork, diversity, and inclusion within team, between teams and other groups.
- The role builds and champions a collaborative team culture and continuous team integration. The role inspires and provides team member motivation and recognition.
- A minimum of 10+ years of relevant industry experience is required.
- Bachelor’s/undergraduate degree in an engineering discipline is required.
- An advanced Degree is an asset
- Previous regulated industry experience is required.
- Medical device experience with Class II, III in capital equipment development is very beneficial.
- Prior experience leading R&D teams (inclusive of indirect or direct reports) is desired
- 5+ years of people management experience (inclusive of indirect or direct reports) is -required
- Understanding of Global Regulatory/Clinical and Design Control requirements of complex medical devices is required.
- Strong technical expertise and business acumen within strategic planning and execution is highly required.
- Demonstrated success in partnering and influencing across a matrix environment is required.
- Strong ability to drive strategic planning and operational excellence is required.
- Demonstrated effective change leadership and change management skills is required.
- Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity is required.
- The ability to actively develop talent and culture to achieve results.
- Up to 20% Domestic and International travel required.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is 152K-263K
The Company maintains highly competitive, performance-based compensation programs. Under current guidelines, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable plan. The annual performance bonus is a cash bonus intended to provide an incentive to achieve annual targeted results by rewarding for individual and the corporation’s performance over a calendar/performance year. Bonuses are awarded at the Company’s discretion on an individual basis.
Employees and/or eligible dependents may be eligible to participate in the following Company sponsored employee benefit programs: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, business accident insurance, and group legal insurance.
Employees may be eligible to participate in the Company’s consolidated retirement plan (pension) and savings plan (401(k)).
This position is eligible to participate in the Company’s long-term incentive program.
Additional information can be found through the link below.
For additional general information on Company benefits, please go to: - https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
Do you want to be part of a diverse team delivering innovative products to market? Apply today!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.