Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Staff Software Systems Engineer, R&D !
The Staff Software Systems Engineer will make vital contributions to the New Product Development (NPD) pipeline for innovative medical devices and associated capital equipment. They are responsible for working with our NPD teams to design and develop embedded product software to integrate with mechanical, electrical, and distributed computing systems.
- Lead the requirement definition and architecture for software and electrical designs of highly complex medical capital products
- Lead the definition of interface control specifications for connected electromechanical products
- Lead the integration of subsystems in accordance with program requirements and architecture
- Partner with product development and manufacturing teams in all product life-cycle phases
- Manage system and subsystem requirements including definition, decomposition, analysis, traceability, and testability to ensure clear and unambiguous design specifications
- Ensure products and solutions conform to Industry Standards for Medical Device Software (IEC 62304)
- Collaborate with marketing, product leadership, design, manufacturing, quality, and verification teams to translate high-level customer needs into technical options while analyzing trade-offs and business impact
- Collaborate with vendors throughout the design and development process
- Mentor junior members of the engineering staff to expand design team abilities and establish good working practices
- Use Scaled Agile Framework for system engineering activities
- A results and performance driven attitude with strong sense of accountability is required
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related degree is required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a direct software engineering or software architecture role in a New Product Development environment
- Experience with systems engineering activities such as requirements management and development, risk management, and verification utilizing tools such as Enterprise Architect, Integrity, JAMA, DOORs, etc.
- Proven experience with embedded electrical and software design
- Experience developing multi-process and multi-threaded software for Real-Time Operating Systems (QNX, Wind River, Yocto, etc.) in C++ (preferably Modern C++)
- Creation and management of interface control specifications for electrical and software systems
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving, prioritization, and conflict resolution with internal and external team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required for design documentation and effective collaboration with team members
- Experience within a medical device or other highly regulated environment
- Experience with real-time network protocol(s), e.g., DDS (RTI Connext DDS, OpenDDS, etc.) MQTT, or similar protocols
- Experience with external standards such as IEC 62366, IEC 62304, IEC 61508, or IEC 60601
- Experience with protocol connectivity over Ethernet Networks, LAN, WAN, Cloud
- Experience debugging embedded hardware systems
- Experience developing Qt applications and/or Qt QML plugs
- Experience with embedded system security development including secure boot
Location and Travel:
- This position is based out of Cincinnati, OH
- Requires up to 10% travel
Ethicon, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 30 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today. Our diverse team of engineers, designers, and technical specialists are on the forefront of technology in the medical device industry.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through innovative programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .