Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, CAR Screening and Lead Selection based in Spring House, Pennsylvania.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C. is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Janssen Therapeutics Discovery seeks a highly motivated Principal Scientist to join our Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) Screening and Lead Selection team. The Principal Scientist will join a cross-functional group of experts building a high throughput CAR screening pipeline for autologous and iPSC-derived effector cell types in the development of ground breaking cell therapy products. The ideal candidate is an experienced and highly motivated scientist with a strong background in T cell or CAR engineering and strategic project leadership who will lead teams in optimization and engineering of next generation cell therapy candidates. Key activities will include optimizing CAR designs, developing and performing assays that can efficiently characterize the phenotype and functionality of CAR-expressing immune cells employing a variety of tools including viral and non-viral gene delivery, high throughput multiparametric flow cytometry, and automated systems to identify outstanding CARs.
- Strategically lead project teams in optimizing and advancing cell therapy candidates from early discovery to IND enabling studies.
- Directly oversee projects to innovate CAR design, optimize and help implement screens to enable high throughput evaluation and selection of lead CAR binders for primary and iPSC-derived effector cells.
- Propose and coordinate the evaluation of novel CAR designs and strategies.
- Work in a team environment to advance key preclinical programs targeting both heme and solid tumors.
- Provide scientific leadership on cross-functional initiatives and recommendations on department-level strategic decisions.
- Provide mentorship, training and support to team members and direct reports as a subject matter expert.
- Proactively investigate and drive improvements to processes across the team.
- Deliver written and oral presentations that support strategic decision-making, patent applications, and regulatory submissions.
- Represent the company in external settings and work with internal and external collaborators.
- Foster a collaborative, creative, and meticulous culture of innovation through active participation in scientific discussions and keeping current with relevant literature.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in molecular biology, immunology, protein engineering, synthetic biology or a related field with at least 5 years of experience as demonstrated by a strong publication or patent record OR a Master's degree with at least 7 years experience OR a Bachelor's degree with at least 10 years of experience required.
- Broad expertise in T or NK cell biology including activation pathways and effector functions required.
- Experience with DNA and protein construct designs, including expression cassette architectures, functional component libraries, expression tuning, and reporter systems preferred.
- Experience with functional assays measuring cellular activation, cytokine release, proliferation, and killing preferred.
- Experience with CAR T or CAR NK generation preferred.
- Experience with automated systems or high throughput screening assay development preferred.
- Proven ability to think critically and apply skills, theoretical knowledge, and experience to challenging projects required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with consistent track record of working well independently and as part of a team required.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com .