Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Associate Scientist, Bioassays for Gene Therapy Discovery located in Brisbane, CA. This position is laboratory-based and offers an exciting opportunity to help discover novel Gene Therapies for unmet medical needs.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We are working to create a world without disease by bringing together the best minds to pursue the most promising science. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. To learn more, please visit www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Associate Scientist to join our group that is developing in vitro assays to characterize the functional activity and potency of therapeutic proteins delivered via adeno-associated virus (AAV) to HEK293 cells and disease cell models. The qualified scientist should preferably have experience working in the field of gene therapy and technical expertise with mammalian cell culture, AAV transduction, and in vitro functional assays. The scientist will plan and execute experiments, follow protocols, interpret data, troubleshoot problems, document data, and communicate results, while working in a collaborative environment that values innovation, leadership, scientific excellence, and personal accountability.
- Plan and execute in vitro assays to quantify functional activity of protein of interest.
- Perform immunoassays, including western blot, flow cytometry, ELISA, and MSD.
- Develop chemiluminescent or fluorescent functional assays.
- Develop multiplex assays to quantify protein and RNA levels.
- Transduce cells with recombinant AAV or other gene therapy vectors.
- Maintain an electronic lab notebook to document results.
- Contribute to a collaborative, creative, and rigorous culture of scientific discovery.
- Bachelor of Science degree with at least 5 years of laboratory experience in pharma/biotech/or academic environment is required OR a Master’s Degree in biochemistry or other related scientific field with at least 3 years of industry related experience is preferred
Experience and Skills
- Experience developing chemiluminescent or fluorescent functional assays is required
- Experience with development and execution of Western blot is required
- Experience with development and execution of flow cytometry is required
- Experience with development and execution of ELISA and MSD immunoassays is required
- Experience with transduction of cells by AAV or other viral vectors is strongly preferred
- Experience initiating and maintaining mammalian cell culture is strongly preferred
- Experience with Luminex, biolayer interferometry (Octet), and/or FRET is preferred
- A general understanding of gene therapy and AAV biology is preferred
- Experience with analytical ultracentrifugation (AUC) or analytical HPLC is a plus
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through innovative programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.