Abiomed is currently recruiting for 4 Category Manager, Direct Precision Materials openings in each of the following categories: Machining, Ceramics, Injection and Extrusion molded materials and Packaging & Chemical to be based in Danvers, MA or Aachen, Germany.
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
Abiomed is present in most markets of the world, representing more than $1 billion of revenue with projected strong growth and premier market positions. The spend in support of this business resides in multiple categories and sums up to 300 million$ per year. With highly innovative heart saving products, Abiomed is one of the highest growing businesses of Johnson & Johnson.
The Category Manager DPM will be responsible for driving spend performance and managing supplier relationships in defined scope. DPM category is key material category for Abiomed business and is comprised of subcategories of Machining, Ceramics, Injection and Extrusion molded materials, and Packaging and Chemicals. We are hiring category managers for each of these mentioned subcategories. Category Manager DPM will develop, and /or support sourcing strategies, and supplier strategies under guidance of Category Leader. The incumbent in the role, will plan, direct, and support the delivery against targets for financial performance, supply reliability across quality & service, and compliance adherence. The purpose of this position is to manage specific sub-categories in the Direct Precision Material portfolio for Abiomed, with approximate spend of $20-40M. This responsibility includes the need for strong engagement with internal stakeholders and robust connection with our key external partners.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead or support sourcing initiatives to identify the right supplier partners, Influence decisions, delivering on-going value improvements while driving competitive advantage.
• Develop spend analysis and gather market intelligence in alignment with business goals.
• Develop and lead cost management initiatives; Prepare and execute RFQs for medium to high complexity sourcing decisions; Conduct negotiations with suppliers.
• Deliver on financial, service, reliability, quality, innovation, and growth commitments.
• Build and maintain relationships throughout Abiomed that results in dynamic interactive dialogue on a broad range of perspectives and information critical to the development of optimal approaches and solutions.
• Support the development and drive the Procurement vision for, with and through the stakeholder community.
• Drive sourcing activities for defined categories to support new products under development.
• Develop and manage supplier partnerships to drive performance delivery, risk mitigation, and value through supplier enabled innovation.
• Cultivate and use strategic relationships with key business partners (e.g., Internal partners, supplier leadership) to shape, optimize, and diversify the supply base.
• Develop innovative and sustainable solutions to identify and mitigate risk, drive long-term, end-to-end value, and achieve unmet business needs. Identify and pursue opportunities to develop supplier capabilities.
• Conduct Business Review meetings with suppliers that include holistic supplier performance management and review.
Category Strategy Development
• Develop and/or support the category sourcing strategy for the defined portfolio through Business needs assessment, Market intelligence, Supplier evaluations and sourcing choices.
• Proactively engage business partners to identify needs and incorporate those needs into sub-category strategies.
• Build supply network through developing, identifying suppliers utilizing deep subject matter expertise based on supply market analysis, industry intelligence.
• Understand supply market trends, competitor analysis to deliver proactive sourcing strategies.
• Systematically and efficiently manage contract creation, approval, administration, and compliance to maximize financial and operational performance while minimizing risk.
• Ensure that agreements and the manner they are performed meet business demands of all collaborators and are aligned with the organization’s overall procurement and business strategy.
• Represent procurement in End-to-End Supply Chain initiatives of the manufacturing network, capacity programs, digital tools/technology adoption, and resiliency.
• Lead / Support projects in defined spend scope, to deliver procurement KPIs.
• Escalate issues / inevitable risks that may impact the Global Procurement organization and/or the Supply Chain
• BS in Engineering, Operations/Supply chain management or related field, MBA/MS preferred
• Mechanical engineering experience/skills/educational background
• A minimum of 5 years of strong procurement experience required.
• Experience in multiple disciplines of Supply Chain, including External Operations, Manufacturing, Procurement, Distribution and / or related field is advantageous.
• Good level of understanding of the machining (metal, plastics, ceramics), injection molding, extrusion industry landscape
• Broad-based understanding of business operations and practices and core procurement areas of focus (e.g., Spend Management, Category Management, Sourcing & Supplier Management)
• Strong leadership, communication (verbal and written), influencing, collaboration skills are key.
• Strong verbal and written communication skill with ability to confidently present complex information
• Experience to work across regions and understand markets.
• Strong Business Acumen with electronics or Medical Devices (specifically Abiomed relevant industry) experience preferred.
• Multi-country and Multi sector experience preferred.
• Continuous improvement/lean/six sigma experience, black belt preferred.
• Experience with SAP preferred, or another ERP, device management and procurement systems.
• Willingness to travel, particularly to visit suppliers. This position may require up to 30% International travel based on business needs.
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.