Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed's "Patients First!" culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
The co-op will be responsible for working with the Pump Algorithms team on developing and testing new and improved metrics for the Impella console. They will work closely with experienced test and algorithm engineers to devise methods for using the raw signals available from the Impella pump to report information about both the Impella pump's and patient's condition. They will also work on cross-functional projects tying together academic research, hardware, and software development activities.
These projects are central to building on Abiomed's goal of recovering hearts and saving lives. The ideal candidate will be independent, intellectually curious, and ambitious in pursuing new ideas and refining existing designs. They will also thrive in a cooperative and fast paced environment where they can bring their projects to completion among the broader team's priorities of putting patients first.
- Prototype and design new algorithms and measurement strategies for Impella heart pumps
- Collect and analyze bench and pre-clinical data for Impella algorithm development
- Use expertise in signals processing, analytical methods, and experimental design to assess the quality of prototype algorithms
- Follow product development SOPs to perform benchtop system performance testing
- Introduce new technology for data collection
- Other duties as required
Enrolled in an accredited undergraduate program in bioengineering, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, or related fields.
Prior co-op or professional experience preferred.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Graduate students currently enrolled in the above programs preferred
- Strong skills with signal analysis and scientific computing in software including Matlab, Python, or R.
- Familiarity with anatomy and physiology, particularly of the cardiovascular system
- Experience with mechanical design and CAD software, including SolidWorks.
- Ability to formulate hypotheses, create research plans, and form conclusions based on available data
- Independent worker able to both find technical answers on their own and recognize when other team members have useful solutions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including familiarity with basic office software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.