Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed’s “Patients First!” culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
Healthcare Solution and Reimbursement at ABIOMED is a field-based team responsible for working directly with hospitals and physicians to ensure they recognize the economic and clinical value of the Impella therapy. Successful candidates will have excellent technical expertise in the areas of healthcare administration and delivery, facility and physician reimbursement, and health economic value messaging. The right candidate for this opportunity will exhibit strong leadership skills, outstanding communication skills, the ability to present complex information to a broad and diverse group of stakeholders, and the ability to convey the unique capabilities ABIOMED has in this market. The role is ideal for candidates who enjoy both strategy and execution and who welcome the opportunity to travel, as this field-based position will involve overnight travel estimated up to 80%.
· Manage and lead the US based Field Reimbursement team to execute strategic program development initiatives.
· Collaborate with HCS Partners (including Therapy Awareness, Physician Program Directors, and Professional Education) on key customer objectives.
· Work directly with hospitals to evaluate reimbursement activities and overall financial environment relating to their Impella technologies by analyzing key customer needs including coding (ICD-10, DRG, CPT), claims denials, procedural documentation.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders (including O.R. and Cath Lab staff, billing, Administration and Physicians - interventionists and surgeons) at hospitals engaged in Impella procedures, to support the site in establishing and maintaining an Impella program through development and implementation of reimbursement plans (coding, coverage, payment) unique to each provider.
· Articulate a thorough understanding of the commercial and government payer landscape including coverage policies and payment processes by identifying payer opportunities and issues and implement programs to resolve/mitigate barriers to entry for the Impella device; this will include managing and addressing coverage policy issues with payers as necessary.
· Present complex health economic information to influential and diverse groups in a way that is engaging, credible, and easily understood.
· Manage relationships with Commercial Insurance service carriers to optimize reimbursement environment and coverage for ABIOMED technology.
· Assist Regional and Territory Sales Managers in the development, implementation, and managements of strategic initiatives within geography. Support sales and clinical teams with reimbursement questions and issues.
· Create training materials and deliver education programs to sales force, physicians, medical directors, billing personnel, distributors, and other internal and external stakeholders as needed.
· Via in-person & virtual meetings, educate and train sales team on health economic tools and messaging; train sales team members (individually, and in groups) on the use of economic tools in a compliant manner.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor's Degree and 8+ years experience in (or strong working knowledge of) hospital finance or medical device industry specifically pertaining to health economics, reimbursement planning and program implementation.
· Strong understanding of US health care policy and payment systems, including hospital and physician reimbursement.
· Ability to review medical records and verify medical criteria as cases are reviewed
· Outstanding interpersonal skills, experienced developing relationships at all organizational levels to influence business objectives.
· Ability to balance strategic thinking with intricate planning and strong tactical execution.
· Demonstrates responsiveness and a sense of urgency
· Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple priorities
· Demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and the ability to adapt continuously
· Experience and comfort with complex concept sales involving changes in customer behavior or care-pathway.
· Ability to gain high levels of credibility and excellent persuasion skills to achieve desired results.
· Functional and cross-functional teamwork experience.
· Ability to work independently.
· An advanced degree such as an MBA, MPH or MHA in health policy, health economics, healthcare administration, health services research, or similar discipline is highly desired, but not required.
· Extensive knowledge of medical coding including ICD-10, DRGs, CPTs and HCPCS codes. AAPC certification a plus
· Cardiovascular experience preferred
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.