Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is currently recruiting for Senior Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist to be located in Danvers, MA.
Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed’s “Patients First!” culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
The Senior Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist will provide a safe and healthful workplace and reduce and eliminate hazards for all employees. The Senior EHS Specialist will ensure compliance with local, state, and federal safety and environmental regulations, while continuously auditing headquarters safety programs by monitoring various metrics, inspections and internal training.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations concerning all environmental rules, protocols, regulations and appropriate guidelines. Create ways to keep workers and the general public safe from harm and design safe work spaces. Ensure that proper personal protective equipment [PPE] is available to all employees for all operations
• Maintain recordkeeping and tracking of all safety metrics and incidents
• Develop, implement and manage safety programs & corporate safety programs (not limited to):
o Lockout/tagout, Fall Protection, Electrical Safety, Fire Prevention, Laser and Radiation Safety, Emergency Action Plan, Lab Safety and Hazard Communication, Respiratory Protection Machine Shop Safety, etc
• Drive environmental reporting and permitting requirements: SPCC, Tier II reporting, Triennial Reporting, Oil Spill Prevention Plan, Flammable Storage Permit
• Manage Hazardous Waste Management Plan. Ensure regulatory agency compliance i.e. labeling, containment, proper disposal, employee training, and documentation, universal waste program
• Support occupational health programs
• Respond to emergency situations, coordinating with emergency responders
• Instill a proactive safety culture by implementing behavioral based safety initiatives including determining risks, potential hazards and development of mitigation controls
• Develop, prepare, and deliver classroom instructions and "hands on" trainings (online and virtual training development)
• Investigate all incidents, injuries to identify root-causes implement corrective actions
• Support contractor safety program and safe work permitting; establish prequalification process for vendors
• Support industrial hygiene program and conduct sampling as necessary for chemical and noise hazards
• Provide Field Team safety guidance such as radiation safety, respiratory protection program, training, etc, while being the point of contact for field inquires
• BS in Engineering or Safety and Occupational Health Applied Sciences required
• Associate Safety Professional (ASP) required, Certified Safety Professional (CSP) desired
• Minimum of 7-8 years experience in EHS role/discipline, experience in the manufacturing, research and development, pharmaceutical/biotechnology or laboratory setting is strongly preferred
• Well versed in safety, environmental and health regulations (OSHA, EPA, MA-DEP, DOT, RCRA, etc.)
• Experienced developing, implementing and managing safety programs. Auditing experience preferred
• Strong presentation, communication and training skills required
• Must be able to travel up to 10% of time to Abiomed facilities, with potential for overnight travel 2-3 times per year, including internationally
• Execute tasks in a timely manner without direct supervision
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.