Janssen Research and Development, LLC, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Peptide Chemistry – Global Discovery Chemistry , located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Global Discovery Chemistry is an integral and growing part of the Therapeutics Discovery (TD) organization, which is committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates in partnership with all six Therapeutic Area (TA) discovery organizations. The Discovery Product Development and Supply (DPDS) mission requires deep scientific expertise in multiple subject areas including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external organizations, including the discovery facing development teams Discovery Product Research (DPR) and Developability.
Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently recruiting an outstanding individual to join our Spring House, Pennsylvania, based team as Senior Principal Scientist, Peptide Chemistry, Global Discovery Chemistry – a role that offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science-driven organization. Located in suburban Philadelphia, the Janssen Spring House campus sits at the heart of the growing mid-Atlantic biopharmaceutical belt, offering easy access to some of nation’s premiere educational, research, and medical centers of excellence.
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated scientist with extensive experience in leading Peptide Discovery Programs including advancing peptide programs from hit finding through lead optimization and clinical candidate identification. This position will require the candidate to possess and leverage deep knowledge and capabilities in peptides to deliver differentiated clinical candidates. The Sr. Principal Scientist will partner with key stakeholders in the TAs and other internal groups, represent Medicinal Chemistry, lead cross-functional project teams, and be co-responsible for building, managing, and delivering high quality clinical molecules. Scientists with deep expertise in the field of peptide chemistry including optimization using innovative synthetic and computational methods, and various peptide drug delivery strategies are preferred.
- As project leader, develop and implement strategies for peptide drug discovery programs, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Anticipate, identify, and problem-solve issues both independently and collaboratively to advance the program and deliver objectives
- Excellent communication skills to foster effective partnerships that include effective goal setting and delegation of work among the team
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and implement medicinal chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support project decisions, compound progression, and patent strategies
- Lead cross-functional and cross-network teams to deliver on Janssen pipeline objectives
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities internally and/or at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and emerging external opportunities.
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to TA and Discovery leadership
- Minimum of a PhD in synthetic or medicinal chemistry is required.
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with a consistent record, preferably through candidate selection, as Project Leader
- Ability to integrate multiple R&D subject areas into a successful strategic project plan with operational and problem-solving skills for leading Discovery programs and objectives is required
- Demonstrated ability to accelerate peptide hits to candidate-like lead molecules is required.
- Broad experience with proven accomplishments in peptide chemistry is required.
- Proven track record of innovative, scientific contributions to projects, supported by patent inventorship and primary/co-authorship of publications and presentations is required.
- Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment are required. Mentoring talent and contributions towards building a high performing organization are critical.
- Up to 10 - 20% travel both domestically and internationally may be required
- Experience with the following areas of peptide chemistry is preferred:
- Oral peptide design strategies
- Intracellular targeting
- AI/ML approaches to peptide discovery
- Peptide drug conjugates
- Constrained macrocycles, de-peptidization strategies, and peptidomimetics
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com.