Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is hiring a Principal Controls Engineer to join it’s dynamic Engineering team located in its Global Headquarters in Jacksonville, Florida.
Remote candidates will not be considered for this position.
A Principal Controls Engineer is an engineering professional who has several years of experience working in their respective field of engineering. They are responsible for providing guidance and oversight to multiple teams working on numerous products or projects and developing various forms of technologies. They are leaders who think strategically and have a long-range goal in mind.
Johnson & Johnson Vision is committed to improving and restoring sight for patients worldwide. Since debuting the world’s first disposable soft contact lens in 1987, it has been helping patients see better through their world-leading ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses. In 2017, J&J expanded into cataract surgery, laser refractive surgery (LASIK) and consumer eye health and now serves more than 60 million patients a day across 103 countries with its eye health portfolio. Growing on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Key Role Responsibilities:
- Provides technical and business leadership in automation software development on all production platforms.
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of process automation and the effective application of electro-mechanical systems
- Is responsible for investigating, prototyping and implementing improvements and new technologies to drive quality and throughput performance
- Identifies, leads and works with strategic/tactical suppliers and outside consulting companies providing both automation and enterprise level services
- Leads large scale capital projects and develops teams of both internal and contract controls engineers
- Works at an advanced technical expertise level involving planning, development and design of equipment, processes or facilities
- Collaborates closely with the Advanced Engineering Group for new line installations
- Identifies and implements major improvement projects in alignment with business objectives
- Provides controls leadership on major FPX projects leading teams of internal controls engineers as well as contractors
- Performs a variety of engineering assignments using a wide range of engineering principles
- Builds strong collaborative relationships with Advanced Engineering, R&D, Limerick Manufacturing Engineering and ACoE to influence new technology direction and facilitate technology transfer and knowledge collaboration
- Serves as a champion for automation design the best processes such as coding standards, peer reviews, design methodologies and risk management tools for execution of automation projects
- Demonstrates effective use and mastery of User Requirements, Functional & Design Specifications, FMEA’s, FAT/SAT/IQ/OQ/PQ testing and other validation activities, tools and procedures
- Supports identification and improvement of resource capability gaps in the controls group and provides coaching to other engineers to increase the group’s overall capability and quality of work output
- Serves as final partner concern for technical issues while demonstrating and promoting knowledge sharing and coaching
- Keeps up to date on new developments and technologies in automation and provides insight in to new ‘Best Practice’ methodologies, procedures, processes and equipment to the company in a proactive manner
- Adheres to environmental/safety policy and procedures and support department safety objectives, ensuring business and regulatory requirements are also satisfied
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or related disciple required
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with automated controls systems in a highly automated, regulated manufacturing environment required
- Extensive experience programming, integrating and solving PLC, and SCADA platforms in a high speed discrete manufacturing environment required
- Experience leading multiple projects required
- Ability to organize, plan and complete multiple tasks at the same time required
- Ability to work in a multi-functional/matrix team environment required
- Willing and able to be available to respond to emergencies/crisis in support of a 24 x 7 operations.
- Ability to travel up to 10% - domestic and international required
- Experience leading automation engineers preferred.
- International collaboration experience highly preferred
- Knowledge of Rockwell Automation RsLogix5000, Siemens S7, Siemens APT, Pilz PSS WinPro, Wonderware InTouch, Wonderware Industrial Application Server highly preferred
- Experience with motion control (servo systems, robotics etc), Domino laser printing and Cognex vision systems, fieldbus communications (Profibus, DeviceNet, ASi etc), and Safety PLCs preferred
- Experience with line installation/qualification and/or major line retrofits and new product introductions in an FDA regulated environment preferred
- Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing certification preferred
- Full understanding of the new product commercialization process and product transfers highly preferred
- Must be a creative and hands-on automation engineer.
- Must handle and influence internal resources without direct supervisory authority.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter.
- The position requires approximately 10% travel
Johnson & Johnson provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.