Abiomed is a pioneer and global leader in healthcare technology and innovation, with a mission of Recovering Hearts & Saving Lives . With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, offices in Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1,500 employees form one of the fastest growing medical device companies in the world. We attract and retain exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
ABIOMED is redefining team-driven success while reshaping heart recovery. Here, new ideas are welcomed and encouraged, learning is constant, and our dynamic setting enables positive people to do profoundly important work.
The ideal Product Development candidate will be goal, data-driven, detail oriented; and experienced in the medical industry. The Senior Engineer will lead complex technical tasks and engineering process improvements, collaborate with senior and junior staff, develop new products and provide engineering support for existing products.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities :
· Build on current of medical, technical, and biomedical developments related to company products and heart recovery technologies.
· Manage execution of work for timely completion of tasks per plan without direct supervision. Prepare, present and lead design reviews to attain agreement on project tasks with peers and review team.
· Develop and update design documentation including test protocols, reports, and engineering summary to support both quality and regulatory documentation.
· Fabricate prototypes with assistance from junior staff, technical support team (Machine Shop, Technicians and Designers) and suppliers.
· Maintain accurate documentation of concepts, designs, and processes.
· Resolve producibility issues with internal and external manufacturing partners. Work with internal and external manufacturing partners to ensure producible designs (DFM). Document designs by constructing solid models and drawings using GD&T and stack-up analyses.
· Perform system engineering, mechanical, fluid, vibration, thermal, reliability, magnetic and systems analyses to support new and existing designs.
· Perform evaluations, design and prototyping using CAD (Solidworks), FEA, 3-D printing to accelerate development and engineering of plastics, ceramic, composite and metallic parts, electromechanical systems, etc.
· Address field complaints by determining root cause and implement corrective actions.
· Suggest, contribute and champion initiatives to improve the Engineering Department’s operations and procedures.
Required Experience & Education:
· BS in Mechanical Engineering or directly related scientific discipline (MS preferred)
· 5+ years of progressively complex Product Development experience required; medical device product development experience strongly preferred
· Applied understanding of Design for Manufacturability (DFM) concepts and manufacturing best practices
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Working knowledge of SAP and Minitab desired
· May require up to 20% travel – US & EU
· Ability to work in cross-functional teams that span global operations
· Proficient in English verbal and written communication
· Must enjoy team approach over individual contributions
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.