At Johnson & Johnson, we use technology and the power of teamwork to discover new ways to prevent and overcome the world’s the most significant healthcare challenges. Our Corporate, Consumer Health, Medical Devices, and Pharmaceutical teams leverage data, real-world insights, and creative minds to make life-changing healthcare products and medicines. We're disrupting outdated healthcare ecosystems and infusing them with transformative ideas to help people thrive throughout every stage of their lives. With a reach of more than a billion people every day, there’s no limit to the impact you can make here. Are you ready to reimagine healthcare?
Here, your career breakthroughs will change the future of health, in all the best ways. And you’ll change, too. You’ll be inspired, and you’ll inspire people across the world to change how they care for themselves and those they love. Amplify your impact. Join us!
Janssen R&D is recruiting for a Summer Intern Neuroimmunology position, located in La Jolla, CA.We are seeking a highly motivated Summer Intern with a Biology/Neuroscience background to join our Neuroimmunology Discovery research team in La Jolla, CA. The candidate will be passionate about discovering and developing novel therapeutics for CNS disorders.
Experimental work will be the core job function. As such, the candidate will spend close to full time at the bench generating data under the close guidance of their mentor. The successful candidate will help the neuroimmunology team decipher the impact of immune molecules on synaptic function by using quantitative imaging methods and flow cytometry analysis. It is essential that the candidate enjoys bench science, is scientifically curious, is self-motivated, and can demonstrate a high level of efficiency. Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to interact well with peers and collaborators, and strong written and oral communication skills are vital to success in this role. In addition, the candidate must practice good laboratory principles, including detailed notebook entries of experiments.
- Immunostaining of neuronal cultures and tissues to image synapses
- Quantification of immunostaining using image analysis software
- Flow cytometry assays to measure synaptic engulfment by microglia
- Candidates must be actively enrolled in an accredited University for the duration of the internship assignment pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in biology related discipline
- Minimum GPA of 3 is required
- Completion of Undergraduate Freshmen year at an accredited University is required
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and must not require sponsorship for employment visa status now, or in the future (ex. H1-B, F-1)
Experience and Skills:
- Science major such as Biology, Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Pharmacology.
- Previous hands-on laboratory research experience is required
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and quantitative skills is required
- Must be a self-starter who works independently while contributing to the team goals
- Previous knowledge of neuroscience will be a strong advantage.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills are preferred
- Ability to balance multiple projects and initiatives while driving results
- Proven leadership/participation with campus programs and/or community service activities is desired
- The position is based in La Jolla, CA and will require 100% time on site.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.