Abiomed is an innovative medical device business with an inspiring mission "Patients First," and a unique guiding company principle " Recovering hearts. Saving lives." With more than 2,000 employees, Abiomed is one of the fastest growing medical technology businesses in the world with corporate headquarters in Danvers, USA, and locations in Aachen and Berlin, Germany, Tokyo, Japan, and Singapore. Abiomed is part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech.
Abiomed is an employer with attractive working conditions and an appreciative corporate culture that focuses on the needs of its employees. Abiomed inspires and retains exceptional talent through collaboration, passion and continuous development.
Associate Director (d/f/m) Medical Affairs EMEA
Location: Aachen, Germany
The Associate Director Medical Affairs will lead the Medical Affairs group within the European Medical Office. In this function, he/she will lead a team of regionally distributed Medical Scientific Liaisons with strict adherence to the relevant compliance standards. In alignment with the Commercial Leadership, the role will support partnerships between Abiomed and key customer accounts and leading academic institutions/societies in Europe and represent Abiomed on national and international conferences and courses.
This position is key to sharing and deepening the clinical understanding of cardiac unloading and heart recovery in the specialist community. The AD Medical Affairs will be an integral part of the global Medical Office within Abiomed and support both internal and external evidence dissemination.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leading, motivating and developing team members in accordance with the company’s management principles
- Manage and organize evidence dissemination in regional alignment with the commercial partners.
Medical Science & Therapeutic Area Knowledge
- Maintain extensive clinical/scientific expertise as a subject matter expert of the relevant therapeutic areas, products, company pipeline, medical technology and competitors.
- Maintain understanding of medical device development methodology, marketing and market access concepts, health care reimbursement to be able to collaborate with business partners.
- Serve as a credible scientific subject matter expert to various internal and external stakeholders across multiple settings.
- Develop peer-level relationship networks with thought leaders, professional groups, organizations, decision makers and other key stakeholders in cardiovascular diseases in the assigned geography.
- Share and discuss evidence-based scientific data with stakeholders in accordance with company guidance
- Respond to unsolicited questions and document these requests and responses appropriately.
- Facilitate education on disease state, product pipeline and competitor products to internal stakeholders and external customers as appropriate.
Medical Affairs Strategy
- Work with Medical Office leadership to develop and execute the field team strategic plan.
- As a key member of a cross-functional team identify, gather, and communicate relevant new knowledge about the external environment to internal stakeholders to help inform the business strategy.
- Capture and report scientific insights obtained via appropriate scientific interactions with customers and other external sources including main Scientific Societies and Conferences.
- Represent Medical Affairs at scientific meetings
- Contribute to medical material preparation and review including the development of scientific materials for Marketing and field team
- Directly participate in various aspects of educational and training purposes, both internal and external
- Advanced Degree (MD or higher) in the cardiovascular space.
- Post graduate clinical training in Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Internal or Intensive Care Medicine is an advantage.
- Clinical experience with Abiomed Impella devices is an advantage
- 5+ years (field) Medical Affairs experience in the medical device or biotechnology industries (both in-field and office based) is required including minimum 2 years in a team leadership role
- Ability to network and partner as a peer with important external customers, including scientific leaders, investigators, clinical practice leaders and academic affiliated institutions, including treatment guideline members.
- Knowledge of national and society guidelines, clinical research processes.
- Knowledge of medical device development and business knowledge relevant to the medical device industry and its external stakeholder environment
- Self-starter who can work effectively within cross functional teams
- Ability to effectively present scientific information to diverse audiences
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), German and English
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally approximately 60% of the time
- Strong in scientific communication, strategic planning, cross-departmental collaboration
- Language proficiency in German & English
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.