2014 DePuy UK Placement- Mechanical Design Engineer Job
Location Leeds, GB
Company: Johnson & Johnson
The Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is comprised of more than 250 operating companies in 57 countries employing 117,000 people. Our companies develop and market products in various business segments across the healthcare industry, Medical Devices & Diagnostics.
We at the DePuy Synthes Companies are inspired by the opportunity to help people return to living active and fulfilling lives. We deliver a broad array of orthopaedic and neurological solutions—inspired solutions that go beyond quality implants and include services, education, instruments, and emerging technologies.
Position Title: Mechanical Design Engineer Placement
Length: 12 Months
What type of mark will you make? Your unique talents and perspective can make a vital contribution to innovative products that improve the lives of people everywhere. Career opportunities within Johnson & Johnson companies may provide you with an ideal setting to build your experience; express your passion and touch the world.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Concept work and brainstorming ideas
- 3-D CAD modeling and Drafting
- Prototype assembly
- Work with vendors regarding designs and manufacturing processes
- Produce monthly reports on the progress of work
- Implant and instrument design work
- DFMEA and quality procedure support
- CE paperwork collection
- ECO work
On completion of the placement year, you are likely to develop the following skills and experience...
- Learn to work with vendors
- Learn to understand internal customer needs and produce work plans
- Develop project management, communication and negotiation skills
- Learn about the Orthopaedics industry and how an international company operates.
- Learn universal Quality and Design Processes
- Learn product development skills
Support and guidance:
- The student is to receive extensive support and training throughout the year
- Unigraphics training
- Mentoring by permanent staff and day-to-day advice, guidance and support
- Specific objectives aligned to DePuy/Johnson and Johnson objectives, which will add value to the department and allow them to achieve personal goals
Key skills and competencies required:
- Computer literate and proficient in MS Office, graphical design, industrial design and CAD software applications
- Possess good illustration skills
- Exhibit confident oratory and presentation skills
- Good technical comprehension
- Possess a basic understanding of mechanical engineering and manufacturing
- Team working skills and flexibility are essential
Education and experience:
To be considered for this role you must:
- Be a second year university student looking for a 12 month placement before returning to final year
- Currently be studying towards an undergraduate degree, preferably in industrial design or other relevant degree discipline
- Have achieved a 2:1 average or above in your first year of study
- Must have the right to live and work in the UK for the full duration of the role
If you decide to apply for the position, any personal data, which you provide shall be processed by DePuy EMEA. Your personal data shall be processed for the purposes of recruitment, recruitment policy and selection.
We respectively request Government Officials to identify themselves as such on application; for the purpose of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Primary Location:Europe/Middle East/Africa-United Kingdom-England-Leeds
Organization: DePuy UK Holdings Limited (8721)
Job Function: Product Development
Job Segment: Neurology, Orthopedic, Medical, Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Healthcare, Engineering